Skip to main content

News / Articles

From Small Beginnings – Maritime Museum Tasmania celebrates 50 years

Rex Cox | Published on 8/5/2026
Rex worked as a Customs Officer on the busy Hobart waterfront during the fruit export seasons of the late 1960s. His lifelong interest in ships and the Port of Hobart, particularly photography led to the publication of “Ships of Hobart Harbour” in 2014.

Joining the Maritime Museum of Tasmania in 1985 is now a Life Member and currently contributes as a tour guide. The Museum opened at St. George’s Church in 1974 and continued to grow, relocating to the Carnegie Building, Argyle St in 2000. From a yachting perspective, the Museum proudly counts the early Sydney-Hobart race winner WESTWARD, built by Jock Muir in 1947, as the largest item in its collection –maintained as a working vessel, with greatly appreciated assistance from the RYCT.